What are age-appropriate dental tools to use?? Dr Erin follows the.dentistmom on Instagram and always finds great information!
Tools Pictured (Left to Right)
- 1. Finger brush (or washcloth): to use for oral desensitization, which helps make brushing easier in the future.
- 2. Silicone brush: to allow your baby to explore the mouth for oral motor-sensory development.
- 3. Soft bristle toothbrush: to thoroughly remove plaque from teeth and keep the gums healthy.
- 4. Fluoride toothpaste: to prevent cavaties, especially in children with higher cavity risk.
- 5. Floss picks: to clean and prevent cavaties between the teeth, where the toothbrush can’t reach.
- 6. Electric toothbrush: to help remove stain or persistent plaque for mouths where the soft bristle toothbrush is not enough.
- 7. String floss: to better hug each surface of the tooth during flossing.
- 8. Mouth rinse: to keep the breath fresh and prevent cavaties (if a fluoride rinse is used).